Monday 5 September 2011

The Rugby World Cup - In Cyprus

When you live in the northern hemisphere, the Rugby World Cup is in the southern hemisphere and you can't afford to go to New Zealand, how do you create the perfect work/rugby balance?

One plan would be to get up at silly o'clock, watch a match, blame your alarm clock when you're late for work and dose yourself with caffeine to stay awake.

One plan would be to set your Sky+ for the matches and then spend your working day avoiding news, Twitter and insufferable colleagues who have more energy and watched it live before heading into the office.

A better plan would be to take time off work. That's what my other half and I are doing.

But as much as we love Birmingham, why take two weeks (three weeks in David's case, the jammy git) off on holiday to stay at home? The answer for us was to head for sunny Cyprus!

Not only will the climate be better but Cyprus is two time zones closer to New Zealand. Those 7.30am kick offs look better when it turns into 9.30am. And, as David has a strict "no drinking until the sun goes over the yard-arm rule" aka 11.00am, he can enjoy a beer or two towards the end of the match after lining his stomach with what he calls a Fat Boy Breakfast during the first half. Most of us would call that a Full English. (I often have to translate for him. He's from Yorkshire.)

So why does he get the pleasure of going for three weeks while I'm going for two? I could have just managed to stretch my holiday entitlement, but my supervising partner at work told me the only way she would authorise a three week holiday is if it was so I could go on my honeymoon.

Hence why I'm going for two weeks.

But the Jammy Git, as I will most likely refer to him until I join him in Cyprus on 14 September, has been planning to have this extended holiday ever since the 2007 World Cup ended. And, I admit readily, he deserves the break.

Watch this space for updates following the Argentina v England match next Saturday though! He is going to an all night beach party the night before. It will be a test of his stamina to see if he can handle it!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone



No comments:

Post a Comment