Sunday 11 September 2011

A Weekend of World Cup Rugby

I probably should have titled this blog post "Rugby World Cup 2012: The Rise of the Underdog" because my first impression of the opening weekend's matches was that the "lesser teams", as the media like to call them, have come a long way in the last four years. The "top teams" need to watch out.

Why everyone seems shocked is beyond me. Did no one pay attention to Argentina's progress in 2007, where they ultimately finished third in the tournament?

It is definitely making for much more exciting rugby than the usual process of a team like New Zealand, South Africa or even England steamrolling over the opposition. That opposition is improving, and long may it continue!

Imagine the (pleasant) surprise when I woke up this morning, switched on the telly and saw, 45 minutes into the match, my second favourite international side Italy level with Australia.

I wasn't overjoyed at watching England struggle and have to come from behind against Argentina, but it was a bit like riding a roller coaster: white knuckles, racing heartbeat, sick feeling in the stomach but then it was over and everything was okay.

My overall impressions of the first three days of competition:

1. There is a lot of booing the kickers. This is one of my pet peeves. But rugby supporters have not stooped so far as to boo the opposition's national anthem. When they do, the sport will have gone the way of football with overpaid prima donna players, tribalism and no beer in the stadium.

2. TV networks still feign shock when they catch a rugby player swearing. Yes, it's a gentleman's sport ... off the pitch. Or when speaking to the ref. But James Haskell's "tirade" didn't surprise me and networks should stop putting microphones in the proximity of players when they're riled up.

3. New Zealand has interesting streakers.







Next blog post will be from Cyprus!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment