Friday 9 September 2011

And So It Begins: The Rugby World Cup 2011

17.45
Finally, I'm home from work and the telly is straight on to the Opening Ceremony courtesy of ITV and my Sky+!

Unfortunately, 16 minutes in, it seems to be less about the pageantry of the Rugby World Cup and more about the commentators liking the sound of their own voices. After all, Steve What's-His-Face has said it is a "fairly traditional Opening Ceremony" so I wonder why they're even bothering to show it.

Sixteen minutes in and already onto the second ad break. How very American. This does not bode well for my enjoyment of ITV's coverage over the next month!

18.15
That was less Opening Ceremony and more ad breaks with some commentary in between!

Almost time for New Zealand v Tonga. I hope the match makes up for the poor coverage being provided.

19.15
End of the first half and New Zealand is totally dominant against Tonga, but they aren't perfect. They look like a team of fantastic, talented individuals rather than a fantastic, talented team. They are making errors, and up against a top team they will struggle if they play like this. France might decimate them, depending upon which French side turns up!

19.25
Aren't commentators stupid? Apparently one Kiwi player picked up an elbow in Australia. Does this mean he has three? Does someone in Australia want it back? Did he pay or did he steal it?

Another stupid comment. Some of the players are like velociraptors. I don't know who Andy Gommersall (who I adore, by the way) is talking about. I'm starting to tune the chatter out.

20.00
Tonga finally with a try with only a few minutes left in the match. They deserved that, not just from the effort they put into it but also for holding New Zealand to only five points so far in this half.

20.10
Final score: New Zealand 41 Tonga 10. The All Blacks look good but not perfect. They had more handling errors than Tonga mid way through the second half. I am looking forward to seeing them against France!

At least now that it's the weekend, I can watch the matches I want to watch live, beginning with Scotland v Romania at 2.00am. That makes now nap time!

No comments:

Post a Comment