Thursday 15 September 2011

Cyprus and the Rugby World Cup

Yesterday was a bizarre day! I was so excited about my trip to Cyprus I woke up at 1.00 am. Why go back to sleep when there was a match starting at 3.30? No point.

Samoa were immense, especially one of my all time favourites, Alesana Tuilagi. A hat trick of tries for Alex, and since he is in my ESPN fantasy league he's helped me move up to fourth in my firm's table!

I missed the other two matches yesterday while I was in transit, but the reports, from David and PG, were that the Canada game was fantastic and the Scotland game was rubbish.

Today we learned that you cannot get ITV4 anywhere in Cyprus. You can get ITV4+1, but not ITV4. Work that one out. And since ITV found morning telly more important than the USA v Russia, we thought we would either miss the match or have to watch it on the iPad.

To the rescue: Tramps Bar here in Paphos! The owner installed a separate satellite system to Sky and presto! A live feed of the match!

The USA are so much more impressive than they were four years ago. You can see how they have improved with having several players in our Premiership and in France and Japan.

They were also very lucky that Todd Clever didn't get a yellow card late in the match. That late charge had a bit too much shoulder and the touch judge should have seen it. But he didn't, and despite a late resurgence, Russia couldn't get an equalising converted try.

So well done to my fellow countrymen! You weren't playing against England so I was able to cheer for you today!

What is going to be interesting is if kickers will be able to get over this NZ Kicking Curse that seems to have struck most of them. There's no point pointing the finger at Wilko for missing so many against Argentina. No one is kicking well!

Now that I'm two time zones closer and not working, watch out for lots of blogging in the next fortnight!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment